St. Bernard Parish Government is doing their part to get ready by making sure emergency equipment is operational. The Department of Public Works (DPW) is preparing for the upcoming weather and ask residents to assist by removing any debris that can be moved by the wind or water into drainage system and restrict flow. DPW can be reached at 504-278-4300 during normal business hours Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. After hours DPW can be reached at 504-271-1681.
Here are a few tips for residents to follow:
- Put together an emergency kit with a flashlight, batteries, radio, first aid supplies, basic tools, and extra car keys.
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed.
- Clear drains, gutters and downspouts of debris to prevent drains from breaking during heavy rains and water flooding into your home.
- Extend and re-direct the downspouts close to your home to move the water away.
- Secure lawn furniture and other objects that could be moved by strong winds.
- Go to http://www.ready.gov for more formation.
Sign up for Everbridge Emergency Notifications where they can receive notifications of severe weather alerts and other emergencies. Register online at “http://sbpg.net/165/Homeland-Security-Emergency-Preparedness”, residents who need assistance with evacuating should contact the Office of Homeland Security at (504) 278-4268 or download the forms at “http://sbpg.net/165/Homeland-Security-Emergency-Preparedness”.