President Clavijo was brought to the Los Islenos Museum Complex in a motorcade with an escort provided by the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff’s Department. The Canary Island Government delegation was received by Parish President Guy S. McInnis, Councilman Manuel “Monte” Montelongo, Councilwoman Wanda Alcon, Isleno Society President Rhonda Rodriguez Hannan and various members of the Los Islenos Society.
Following a brief tour of the Museum and a subsequent orientation, the delegation made its way to the Los Islenos Center for a reception sponsored by its members and catered by Crave Restaurant in Meraux. Presentations were made by both Parish Government and Los Islenos Society representatives to President Clavijo and his delegation.
This was the first time a sitting president of the Canary Islands has visited St. Bernard Parish. Spanish colonists from the Canary Islands founded St. Bernard Parish in 1780. Their descendants, through centuries of feast and famine, have successfully preserved the Islenos culture to this day.
Photo Credit Lenor Duplessis